Thursday, July 15, 2010

make cupcakes, not war

So the other night I was up watching mindless television, and because Food Network is one of my most unhealthy obsessions, the program was Cupcake Wars. It really is a dumb show, but I couldn't stop staring at the delectable looking cupcakes, all perfectly frosted and tempting me with their sugary goodness (the two ridiculously good looking lumberjacks that came out to make cupcake stands didn't hurt the show either). That, combined with a longing for the companionship of my top Cupcake Consuming Comrade, Rachel, gave me an itch to start a-bakin. Also, knowing in a few short days I'll be headed to camp for 3 weeks where I'll be taking up the position of Head Baker makes me a little nervous, so I want to get as much practice in as I can.

Now, because I am a poor college student (I hate to think about how much money I've made this summer and how 100% of it has gone to rent every month, so I won't), the baking can only take place when I am home in Ontario, where I can take advantage of a fully stocked cupboard. Oh, the glory of Pampered Chef accessories, Kitchen-Aid mixers, and knives that actually cut. So, the plan is to bake something, once a day, everyday I'm in Ontario. I already know this isn't likely, but I'm willing to try.

Enter the banana cupcake with peanut butter frosting and cinnamon garnish.

I love peanut butter; I love banana; I LOVE cinnamon. Hello, I loved these cupcakes. The frosting had a little too much butter in them and didn't spread very well. I tried tubing it out but it just looked like a big poo on top of my beautiful banana baby cake, so I resorted to just kind of globbing it on top. BUT they tasted really good and the frosting was all rich and melt-in-your-mouth-y. (Rach, you need to make these.)
More to come soon..

1 comment:

Shannon Northcott said...

Don't diss Cupcake Wars. Put up pictures. I miss you. That is all.