Monday, September 8, 2008

Journey to Heidelberg

Here's Moore Haus. The place I will reside for the next 8 months with 53 other people!
Ahhh.. I love the feeling after a good long travel. I feel so blessed to be able to enjoy all these opportunities I know I don't deserve!

I guess this blog will mostly be about my travels.. things that stand out.. Amusing anecdotes. haha. Here's my first one:

The other day when we were getting on the bus to go to the wine festival I tripped over some guy's foot (because he had it way out in the aisle like a stupid). But I didn't know how to say "sorry" or "excuse me" in German (it's something long.. something along the lines of "estut mir li" or something.. i have no idea..) so I just kind of put my hands up and made some apologetic noise in my throat and made sure my face looked really sorry. Then I sat down not too far from him. So the tram gets amovin and the man starts talking to his friend. And he's completely AMERICAN. So I looked and felt like an idiot because I had made this awkward apology grunt at a man who spoke English.

And next:
The other day I tried to order an ice cream cone from a little stand on the street. After practicing the phrase "eine kugel zitrone, bitte" a couple times I mustered up the courage to actaully say it to the vendor. Only, when I try to hack it out in the most hackiest of ways, the lady can't understand me. Apparently my "zitrone" sounded more like "schokolade" which is chocolate and definitely not the lemon flavor I was looking for. Luckily, Kadie came to my rescue and told the lady the correct flavor I sought, with the correct pronunciation. Once the woman understood what we were trying to say she switched to English and told me, "Oh, zitrone! I thought you said schokolade. You are hard to understand."
So, maybe my German is needing a little more work, yeah?

No comments: