Sunday, September 28, 2008

I Survived Oktoberfest

Family members reading this blog: Don't worry! I promise I was completely safe and completely not drunk at Oktoberfest! Scout's honor :]

After taking a 3 hour train to Munich we arrived at the ever popular Oktoberfest. There were a lot of families and rides (although I chose to avoid the ride section of the festival because I kept having flashes of that one scene in The Sandlot where they ride the barf ride after chewing tobbacco. I definitely did not want to end up like that one girl who gets off the ride covered in someone else's puke.) which I wasn't expecting. Then there were the tents. This is where it pretty much looks just like the movies. Packed full of drunken Germans, Italians, Belgians, Aussies, Brits, and Americans. Women in durndels (those Heidi dresses) walk around carrying up to 10 huge liter beer steins at a time and sell them around the room (I managed to stuff an empty one in my purse. Later I found out it was a 50 Euro fine if you got caught trying to take one. Good thing I didn't get caught!). It was loud and smokey and every so often someone would start singing a German beer drinking song. We even saw one guy throw his beer (at 10 euros a pop I def would not have been wasting any of that) on a guy across the table from him, causing a fight to break out (we observed from a safe distance of course). All in all, we all had a lot of fun chatting with the cute Germans in their liederhosen, catching up with people from other programs we hadn't seen in a while, and eating crepes, gelato, candied almonds, and bratwursts.

Ah, this video here is from the soccer game we went to. It was Hoffenheim vs. BVB. We were cheering for Hoffenheim (the team that totally won! 4-0!). This video is a bunch of die hard fans chanting "shisse shisse BVB." Take a wild guess at what that means.

2 comments:

Gary said...

mmmmmmm beer!!! Hi Casey, now that sounds like a great 10 step program.
Your Dad told me about the Stein you borrowed, were you drinking Pepsi from it? LOL Hope you can hold out for some good ol' home cooking, like maybe Grandpa Vince's Chili Verde. Your Mom forwarded your BLOG to me, Hope you don't mind. Have a good stay and we'll see you when you return. Uncle Gary

Sylvia said...

Hey Casey,

Sounds like you are having a great time out there. I love Germany. What an opportunity for you. Hope you don't mind me reading your blog or writing you. It's the most I have heard you "talk" in all the years I've know you! lol. You take care & be safe.

Love,
Sylvia (from ski club)