Monday, November 10, 2008

Ich bin ein Berliner!



Note: A Berliner is a donut. Sorry, John, but I don't think you were a jelly-filled pastry.

Berlin! What an experience! First off I took a 2am train and was so paranoid about sleeping through my stop that I set 3 alarms for every connection I was supposed to have but didn't really sleep anyway. Berlin was fun, mostly because I got to travel with friends from another program, all of whom I miss so much! The weather was nice and we spent some time in the Teirgarten, which was beautiful. Berlin was also the only place with a Mexican restaurant. The first night we were there we were wandering around the city trying to find a place to eat, but we were all sold as soon as we saw the cacti painted on the walls and the sombreros hanging from the ceiling. We heartily enjoyed out quesadillas, burritos, taquitos, rice, beans, and salsa. Ohhh it was so good. Of course, not as good as real Mexican food, still tasty. We also tried these strange Berlin beers that had flavored syrup in them. Red, which tasted like raspberries, and green, which tasted "like green" according to my friend's French professor. haha. They were really good though. I liked the green flavor best. mmm.. green.

One night we decided to go to a club that was on our map the hostel had given us. We set out determined, but after walking for a while a couple of us were getting tired and the town wasn't lookng so promising anymore. But we persisted. All the way into Sketchville. We finally found the "club" which ended up being more of a ghetto outdoor house party so we just turned around as soon as we got there. There were enough Ladies of the Night and people crouched over and shaking on steps for us to not regret the decision. Not to mention be really grateful for traveling with boys.

We saw the sights (Checkpoint Charly, Bradenburg Gate, The Wall, The Jewish Museum, etc.), but the best part was getting to spend time with good friends.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I didn't even know you went to Berlin! What fun! I'm so glad you travel with boys too!!